COVID 19 pandemic acutely impacted almost every sector of the economy. Social distancing, economic shutdown, and closure of many agricultural businesses and farms caused food circulation shortages. Many staff in most industries were on leave; many were infected with covid 19, and the food industry had to shut down temporarily.
There was a significant increase in pest control in many food processing facilities. The food shortage made pests like rodents advance their desperate search for food even further.
The dip in the covid 19 wave allowed for a partial reopening of public facilities. At this point, the importance of commercial pest control partners became emphasized.
Working with licensed pest controlling partners such as Sprague Pest Solutions Pasco has helped reduce the issue of pest control to the barest minimum. Here is a quick reminder of why you need a licensed pest control partner.
Pests find their way into food processing facilities easily. They make shelter where there is plenty of food, reproduce in large numbers and spread like wildfire.
Rats, mice, and other harmful insects multiply rapidly in areas where there is abundant food. They also mature quickly, and food processing stores provide is excellent opportunity to avoid predators.
The aforementioned mentioned pests are vectors of dangerous organisms that can cause a host of known and unknown diseases among humans.
According to data from the World health organization, Plague (a bacterial infection in the bloodstream) in its pneumonic form has a death rate of 100% if left untreated for a long time.
The disease is caused by a specific type of bacteria (Yersinia Pestis) found in warm mammals and insects such as fleas.
One can also be infected through the bite of an infected vector, contact with body fluids of an infected person, contact with infected surfaces or materials, or inhaling of respiratory droplets from an infected person.
Knowing the risks associated with these pests, working with an efficient, licensed pest control partner is essential. Part of the services an experienced pest control partner will offer is to draft a pest management plan specific to tackle the pest population in your facility.
- A licensed pest control partner has to ensure that its pest control practices are in line with the Federal Drug Administration regulations.
- A licensed pest control partner should inspect your facility and propose long solutions to pest problems in your environment.
- Hiring the best pest control partner should be what your food processing company, home or office should focus on. Consider the following before hiring a pest control partner.
- Hire a pest control partner that belongs to an active Pest control body. These could be Federal or state pest control organizations. A pest control organization is committed to improving public health and facility and provides ongoing training to its members.
- A pest controlling partner from a Pest Control Association will also be mandated to get a license and execute practices as the law requires.
- Meet with other food processing companies, especially reputable ones and ask for recommendations. Perhaps, they might refer you to a good pest control partner. Ensure you ask a few questions and make inquiries about their practices.
- Meet with the pest control team and finalize the agreement. Ensure you go through their contract terms carefully before finalizing the deal. Know what pest control service they offer and the guarantees they have.
- Ensure their practices comply with the FDA’s standards. You might want to visit the FDA’s website to know their policies regarding pest control.
You might want to put some pest control tips into practice to ensure a pest-free environment even after the pest control partners have done their job.
Strange rattling noise, bad smell, gnaw and nests are signs of a rodent’s presence. Search your bathrooms for cockroach eggs, infestation and droppings. Inspect food stores and places where items are jam-packed. These places are breeding areas for pests and go mostly unnoticed.
Before bringing any package or shipment into your house, investigate thoroughly. Materials, deliveries and other containers should be cleaned as they might harbour insects. A single insect can create a host of others in weeks and reproduce like wildfire.
Rodents and mice break into homes through openings. Search the house for cracks in the wall and rooftop and seal them appropriately. These are pathways for pests into the home. Search for loose mortar on the foundation of your house. Search the windows for holes as well. Replace weather stripping and ensure shrubs around the house are trimmed.
Clean your house daily. Ensure drainage pipes are clean and keep standing water away from the house. Keep your kitchen utensils clean. Ensure all other home equipments are cleaned daily. Cover trash receptacles and keep garbage as far from the house as possible. Keep food containers, and storage facilities closed as pests are usually on the search for food items. Discard rotten, expired food materials as well.
Unlike most insecticides, sprays, baits, and other pest control methods, Fumigation works faster and more effectively. Fumigation should be considered in Big food storage facilities, commercial food processing plants, or places with zero tolerance for pests. Another benefit of Fumigation is that it penetrates deep into the hideouts of insects, pests and stuffy areas without the need to move your belongings around. Fumigation is very effective for commercial cockroach control. It causes a complete wipeout of pests and insects; however, you might need professional advice to know the right chemicals and equipment before usage.
If health pest control practices are out in place, pest control partners will not have to show up regularly. More also, you’d have an environment free of pests.