A front door is the first line of defense when it comes to securing your home. Therefore, if you want to improve the security of your home, you must improve the security of your front door.
It’s also one of the most commonly vulnerable points in a residence or business, thanks to its keyhole and handle often left unlocked.
Whether you’re an entrepreneur looking for ways to improve security at work or want peace of mind knowing your family is safe inside, these 9 tactics will improve your front door security dramatically!
1. Install a Good Quality Deadbolt
A keyhole is one of the most common ways to enter your home. So, if you have any fears that someone may try and break in, it’s important to improve the security on your front door by installing a good-quality deadbolt.
There are two types of locks at your disposal: an inside cylinder lock (also called a rim or mortise cylinder) and an outside cylindrical lock.
The inside cylinder is best for existing doors in good condition, while the exterior door locks work well if you’re installing new hardware on your front doors, like a doorknob or deadbolt.
A sidebar is also worth considering, as it is a secondary lock that opens at the side of your door.
- Easy installation with Phillips head screwdriver
- Universal handing; fits both right-handed and left-handed doors
- Fits all doors 1-3/8" to 1-3/4" in thickness
- 6-way adjustable latch to fit any 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" backset
- Certified Grade-3 Security by ANSI/BHMA
2. Install a Door Chain
The second line of defense is to improve the security on your front door by installing a window or door chain that will prevent anyone from accessing the inside handle.
If you need additional reinforcement, use an exterior bar latch so it can’t be opened from either side. The only way someone would access this lock is if they broke the window or door to access it.
A secondary chain lock can also improve your front door security by adding a backup if the primary one fails.
- ✅ Strengthened With Steel Jack N’ Drill Chain Door Guards with Lock are made of reinforced steel...
- ✅ Child Safe And Pet Friendly Protect your family with an extra locking device for front and...
- ✅ Trouble-Free Installation Just measure, mark and fix! All you will need is a drill and a few...
- ✅ Secured Viewing Or Ventilation Take a peak but keep everyone’s safety in check. Open doors for...
- ✅ Modern And Chic Chain Locks Protecting your home never goes out of style. Choose to fit your...
3. Install a Door Viewer
A door viewer is an attachment that can be added to your front door so you can see who’s on the other side when they knock or ring.
It protects anyone trying to break in by preventing them from hiding their presence and document what they are doing on the property.
This is a crucial security improvement for any business where there is the possibility of an intruder.
- Door Scope DS2000 Door Viewer - Aluminum x Black Finish
- Viewable from up to 7 feet inside your home (wide angle viewer)
- Quick, accurate and reliable identification of all visitors
- 20 min fire rated
- Original Door Scope Brand Product
4. Install a Peephole
A door viewer will improve your front door security, but what if you don’t have one? You can improve your front door security by installing a peephole if you don’t have one already.
A peephole is an additional option to improve security by letting you see who is on the other side of your front door.
There are two types to improve security: a hole in the door fitted with a small lens, and the other type is like a door viewer where you can view through an opening in your front door.
- 【ULTRA HD LENS】High quality optical lens with 220-degree visual angel offers a crystal clear...
- 【INCREASES PRIVACY】The design of whorl is anti-destruction, anti-drag, and thickening cover is...
- 【INSTALL EASILY】The door viewer with durable Solid Brass metal with super simple installation....
- 【WIDED USED】Modern security door viewer and peep hole for doors. Perfect peephole for home,...
- 【AFTER-SALES】We test and improve our black peepholes constantly to provide you the absolute best...
5. Install a Knob Reinforcer
A doorknob can be easily broken by someone trying to break in. One way to improve the security on your front door is by installing a knob reinforcer.
A doorknob protector makes it difficult to break the doorknob, improves your front door security, and it also protects the door from damage when someone tries to break it.
The knob protector can be installed with hardware on an existing doorknob, but it is more commonly used to replace an old doorknob that hasn’t been replaced.
- Designed to complement both conventional and modern style interior doors for commercial and...
- Includes a reversible handle that makes it perfect for fitting left or right handed doors
- Uniquely crafted door lever Entrance Set With 2 3/8 inch- 2 3/4 inch adjustable backset latch and...
- Comes with unique Thumb-Turn interior knob that that is opened by an exterior key KW1 keyway for...
- Durable & Portable Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish handle which Fits 1 3/8-Inch-1 3/4-Inch doors.
6. Install a Doorstop
If you don’t have an opener installed on your front door, improve its security by installing a doorstop.
A doorstop prevents the door from opening, and it also serves as a great way to improve security by making someone must kick in the door before they can gain entry.
Doorstops are also a great way to improve security if you live in an area with high winds, as it prevents the door from being blown open.
This also works well if you want to improve your front door security against a possible break-in.
- 🚪 KID & PET SAFE - We understand that kids of all ages including babies, infants, toddlers,...
- 🚪 EASY TO INSTALL OR REPLACE - Our door stops can be effortlessly installed into baseboards or...
- 🚪 SAY GOODBYE TO DAMAGE TO YOUR DOORS AND DRYWALL- We kept your beautiful home in mind when...
- 🚪 DON'T NEED OUR FULL 12 PACK? - Now available for purchase is our smaller set of eight noise...
- 🚪 OUR DOOR STOPS WILL NOT BREAK, FAIL, OR RUST OVER TIME OR YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEED - We take...
7. Install a Security Door
If you need to improve your front door security and don’t want to put any other locks on it, improve the security by installing a good-quality steel door.
This is an excellent way to improve your front door security because it’s difficult for someone to break into your house unless they have the right tools.
Security doors are also sometimes called laminated, steel, or composite doors because of the material they are made from.
I recommend installing one with a fire-rated door, which is an extra layer of protection that helps improve the security of your front door in case of a fire.
- 36″ Door Slab with a Frame Size of 40″ – 43” x 83 1/4”
- When viewed from the exterior of the home, door has the hinges on the right, the knob on the left.
- Comes with frame, stainless steel handles, hinges, and lock, 9 to 12 point locking system,...
- 1/16″ frame with inbuilt steel strengthening, 2″ thick door leaf filled with fibre glass /...
- Reinforced panel for friction stay or door closer, Easily removable threshold, 4 heavy duty lift off...
8. Install an Access Control System
If you improve your front door security by installing a good-quality steel door, improve it even further with an access control system.
An access control system is a type of lock that allows you to grant or deny entry based on the code, and it can improve your front door security by allowing you to grant access only when needed.
An access control system can be installed on the inside of a steel door, and it will improve your front door security by ensuring the wrong person doesn’t gain entry.
An access control system is also useful for companies that want to improve their front door security because it makes the list of people more manageable.
- [Modern Technology for Home Security] This RFID Proximity door access control system kit is one of...
- [Safely and Reliable] The state-of-the-art CPU and integrated circuit techniques are applied to keep...
- [Easy To Access] AGPtEK door security system is powerful and can open the door using proximity...
- [More Convenient] The rfid lock kit access controller can provide users with more convenience by...
- [Wide Application] The door lock installation kit offers a method for controlling access safely and...
9. Install a Keypad
If you improve your front door security by installing an access control system, it will improve even further with a keypad.
A keypad is an excellent way to improve your front door security because it makes it difficult for someone who doesn’t know the code to attempt to break into your front door.
A keypad can improve the security of a steel or composite door, but it will also improve the security of a house that doesn’t have any other locks installed.
A keypad can also improve the security of your front door if you live in an area with high winds because it prevents the door from being blown open.
- This item is Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot keypad accent lever door lock, satin nickel
- Used for hardware, door, gate & window hardware accessories
- The product is manufactured in Mexico
- No programming required; preset with 2 user codes so it's ready to use right out of the box
- Door thickness range: 1-3/8" to 1-3/4"thick
We hope these 9 tactics have inspired you to act and make your home, workplace, or place of worship more secure.
From installing security cameras with motion sensors to using a door stop alarm system on the back entrance, there are so many ways that you can keep yourself safe from intruders by taking simple measures such as making sure doors close automatically behind you when entering and exiting an area.
Don’t wait for something bad to happen before improving your front door security! Let us know if we’ve helped in any way – we’d love to hear about it. Talk soon!