We all have been gaming for some. Games are an influential part of our lives. The multiple kinds of games available are stress busters, which help us cool down and serve as a medium of entertainment when we have downtime. Games were made famous by the various arcades that were a rage in the late ’80s.
But now the times have changed, and the whole gaming scene has drastically changed. Nowadays, consoles have paved the way for gaming, and mobile gaming has become a rage of sorts due to PUBG and Call of Duty. Considering that gaming is common between kids and adults alike, professional gaming is also something that many people do.
When we consider this, it leads us to wonder whether 10 Mbps is fast enough for gaming. (The central question of this article). But, before we discuss whether 10 Mbps is fast enough for gaming, we need to discuss whether gaming is data-intensive, as in, does it require high-speed internet, or is that just overkill.
Are Games Resource Intensive?
This is an answer that depends on your use case. If you are a mobile gamer and play simple games like Candy Crush or some lite games, you don’t even need 1 Mb data speeds. For more intensive games like PUBG and Call of Duty, you need not more than 1-2 Mb of speed to be good.
Now, coming to the answer, you may be thinking there is no need for a data speed higher than 10 Mb, but there are professional gamers who need high data speeds since they play highly intensive games. This should be able to answer your question, but if you are wondering what kind of games need high-speed internet, the types and names of the games are mentioned below.
A relatively new field of gaming, Cloud gaming is meant for those who do not wish to download games to play them. In technical terms, Cloud gaming is a type of gaming where the game is played on servers, cast to the user’s device. To put it simply, it is gaming via the cloud (Obvious through the name.) In the case of cloud gaming, it is usually demanding if you are playing massive titles and the right internet service provider that has good network speeds to ensure fair gaming.
Some of the significant cloud gaming services are:
- PS Now
- Project Xcloud
- GeForce Now
If you are a severe gamer and earn your living via gaming, you are most probably streaming your gameplay, since many people love to watch videos and streams of gamers, who provide them with tips and show them proper competitive gaming.
In case you are one of them, a high-speed network is essential, mostly if you stream at 1080p or 4k, since the network has two burdens, one of playing the game and second of streaming that game, so it is advisable to have high-speed internet for best results, since, if you have good quality videos, you will get more viewers, which will result in more monetization.
Some popular streaming sites for games are: –
We know some games need an internet connection to run. Still, some games are multi-players that keep receiving DLC updates and need useful data speeds to run; 10 Mbps should suffice but, if you wish to stream the same or are an ardent fan that wishes to keep downloading the latest DLCs, then it is advisable to have high-speed internet.
Now that you have understood where high-speed internet is useful, you may be wondering as to what the net idea speed is and what is the speed required for some common gaming scenarios. If you, too, were wondering about this, you will find the answer to this below.
Ideal Network Speed?
After reading the topics mentioned above, you may wonder what the ideal network speed is, and the data speeds required for some standard gaming techniques or scenarios.
Ideal Gaming: While most console makers recommend at least 3 Mb for console gaming, in other factors of proper gaming and streaming, 100 Mb is the best. 200 Mb and 400 Mb speeds are a bit of an overkill, but if you are a gamer who streams a lot and plays games in max settings, the speeds are never too high.
Some typical speeds: We all know the speed required for gaming, but if you are unaware, below are some common factors with the speeds required.
- Simple Gaming: Below 1 Mb
- Proper Gaming (Intensive): 3Mb
- Basic Streaming: 5-6 Mb
- HD Streaming: 8 Mb
- 4K or higher streaming: More than 10-15 Mb
So, now that you have seen and understood the data speeds necessary, you may be wondering how to maintain good internet speeds without any distortion. Some common tips are given below:-
- Check where the connection speeds are good and try to game there: There is always one spot in your home where the data or network speeds are over the roof; try to locate the same. If you can do so, try to set up your gaming spot there to enjoy the best speeds.
- Try to purchase a good router: A sort of basics when it decides to choose your network router, always try to avoid the routers provided by your ISP since those are worth nothing and cannot provide good speeds. It is advisable to purchase a good router that will adequately aid in your gaming.
- Placing the Router at the right spot: It is advisable to keep your Router in a location above ground level, as in, on top of a stand or cupboard to ensure better reception. This will also significantly affect your gaming experience.
- Research related to your ISP (Internet Service Provider): The network speeds provided by a service provider/ broadband network provider will vary from place to place, so it is advisable to do some research before purchasing your plan, since it will be essential while gaming, and, you would not want to end up with a slow network or low broadband provider.
Hence, this concludes the article; we hope this article has been of help to you, and you can decide whether 10 Mbps is fast enough for gaming.