The state of Texas has one of the best economies in the entire United States of America (USA) which is why so many people are drawn to moving there. The city of Round Rock is located approximately 20 miles north of the state capital of Austin and has lots of well kept family centered neighborhoods in it that are close to the hustle and bustle of downtown. Round Rock is home to lots of different types of people, so whether you are old or young, a single professional or have a large family, you will feel welcome there.
Based on the outermost Eastern edge of the Texas Hill Country, the city of Round Rock enables residents to partake in a wide range of different outdoor activities in the beautiful surrounding countryside. For instance, during the hot summer months you can take a pleasant walk along the local hiking trails or enjoy any of the year round festivals and events that happen in the city. All these activities will likely leave you hungry and you can appease your appetite at one of the many fabulous restaurants that serve dishes from all over the world, including Southwestern Texas.
What You Need to Know Before Moving to Round Rock
Life in Round Rock is pretty good and you can expect to experience the friendly Southern charm from the locals, beautiful sunsets, and lots of different opportunities to become a part of the community. Whilst it used to be somewhat of a quiet Austin suburb, Round Rock has since become a booming economic center of its own that is home to lots of residential and commercial developments. It provides residents with a great way of life and so it is no surprise then that so many people from out of town are being drawn to the city. Lots of families move to Round Rock for the good schools and end up staying for the great community life.
The Pros and Cons of Living in Round Rock
A good way to prepare for your new life in the city of Round Rock is by familiarizing yourself with some of the good btis and some of the not so good bits also.
Some of the pros of living in Round Rock including the following things:
- Growing economy – as the city of Austin grows then so does Round Rock also. Some of the country’s biggest companies, such as Dell and healthcare institutions continue to grow their presence in the city, bringing lots of good jobs with them.
- Great schools – the school district in Round Rock is recognized throughout Texas as being exemplary and preparing students to a very high level for continued education into college and beyond.
- A community feeling – the city heavily focuses on family and community values, and this is clear to see in the abundance of outdoor spaces, such as playgrounds, parks, and even swimming pools.
Some of the cons of living in Round Rock including the following things:
- An Austin suburb – even though the city is busy, it is still a suburb of Austin. As a result, it lacks a lot of the cultural institutions that you would expect in a much bigger city, like concert halls, sports stadiums, and nightclubs.
- Lots of traffic – with a booming economy and lots of development, it is no surprise that there has been an increase in road traffic. Driving from Round Rock to Austin during the peak times can be sometimes troublesome.
- Uncomfortably hot – while you may enjoy the mild winters, you may not be so keen on the super hot summers that Round Rock experiences. If you are medically vulnerable, then the extreme heat can actually be a health hazard.
The Cost of Living in Round Rock
According to the latest statistics, the cost of living in Round Rock is around 15 percent higher than the national average. That being said, the cost of healthcare and groceries are actually cheaper in Round Rock than what it is in other parts of Texas and the USA. However, the cost of transport, utilities, and housing are above the national average. In order to be able to live comfortably in the city, an average family of four will need to earn $80,000.
The Housing Market in Round Rock
There is a wide variety of properties available in Round Rock so there is something for every taste. However, if you move into a property and it is not quite right for you, there are plenty of highly experienced contractors available to help you. For instance, if you need a Round Rock fence contractor then these guys can help you.
According to the latest data, the average property price in the city is $300,000 so for most people in the USA it is relatively affordable. However, the housing market is said to be very hot at the moment meaning that it may not stay as affordable as it currently is for very long. If purchasing a property is out of the question then you can expect to pay around $1,650 to rent a property in the city.
Things to do in Round Rock
Set within the Texas Hill Country, there are numerous wineries, such as New Braunfels and Dripping Springs, to enjoy. The rustic dance hall based in Luckenbach is the ideal place to dance the night away to the classic country songs.
The city calls itself the sports capital of Texas and so it is no surprise then that there is an endless amount of recreational opportunities in Round Rock. For instance, there is a 640 acre park with space for golf, soccer, softball, baseball, and even a pavilion for having BBQs and picnics.
To enjoy more time outdoors, head over to one of the several state parks that are nearby and that provide the perfect backdrop for a nature hike and some time out from city life. Some of the best are Enchanted Rock, McKinney Falls State Park, and Pedernales State Park.