Before answering this question, let us talk about some other questions which are positively related to our main question. You probably heard about Cable Box. Set-top Box and Satellite Receivers, ever thought that what is the difference between them? Well, let us see.
What is a Cable Box?
A device that can convert a digital Tv signal to an analog single or unscramble a tv signal is known as a Cable box in simple words.
What is a Set-Top Box?
For viewers who wish to use their analog TV sets for digital broadcasts, a set-top box is needed; it allows TV to receive digital TV broadcasts and decode them.
Satellite TV Connection
Many benefits like high-quality pictures and sound, plenty of channels for every taste, and a satellite television’s most significant benefit are low connection costs.
With the help of a communications satellite orbiting earth, satellite television service delivers television programming to the audience directly to their location. A parabolic antenna, mainly known as a satellite dish located outside, and a noise block downconverter receives these signals.
Then a satellite receiver decodes these signals and then makes it watchable on a television set. A built-in television tuner or an external device works as a satellite receiver.
How Does a Satellite TV Work?
The Tv providers collect signals from different programming sources at the transmission Centre and then beam a transmitted signal to satellites. The Satellite receives this broadcasted signal and rebroadcasts it to earth, which is received via Parabolic antenna; Cable Tv providers work under the same principle.
Is it Possible to Use Satellite Dish as a TV Antenna?
The antenna is mainly used to capture and transmit the Radiofrequency (RF) to the television for viewing. With the help of the right hardware specifically designed to capture these RF Signals, a satellite dish mounted on the roof for digital tv signals can be converted as a TV antenna.
There are two ways from which you can connect the TV to the Satellite dish.
- The direct connection between satellite dish cable and television.
- I am connecting the satellite dish with tv with the help of a receiver.
Direct Connection to the TV Receiver
As you are aware, a receiver is needed to watch satellite tv. But In the last few years, Modern tv has started to install DVB-S2 digital tuner, which replaces the need to have an external receiver. Directly connecting dish cable to Tv will grab the satellite signal, and you can enjoy satellite tv.
Sadly, only not coded free foreign channels will be available to watch. You will have to purchase the CAM module connected to DVB-S2 via the PCMCIA interface to watch domestic channels over the Satellite.
The benefit of using the CAM-module is:
- No separate receiver is required
- Switching between channel is comfortable with only one remote
Many satellite Tv operators offer CAM- module with their satellite TV package, which can be purchased easily.
Free TV with Satellite Dish, Possible?
Sadly no, the shape of the satellite dish and unique components makes it unusable for free broadcast Tv. But Coax cabling between dish and television comes to the rescue if you plan to replace your dish with a broadcast TV antenna.
How to Connect my Satellite Dish to my TV?
Here are steps that will guide you on how to connect your Satellite Dish with your TV.
- First, you need to connect the coaxial cables with the satellite dish Low Noise Block downconverter, also known as LNB.
- Find the “Sat in” port in the back of your receiver.
- Connect coaxial cable’ other end with “Sat in” port of the receiver.
- Now Connect HDMI Cable to the receiver’s output port
- Lastly, connect the other end of the HDMI cable with your television.
Setting up the entire satellite equipment set you have purchased is the first step of installation. It would help if you took care of the position of the satellite dish. You may need to adjust the dish later, so place it where you can easily access it.
Television broadcast quality is positively affected by Satellite dishes; interference like trees, buildings, and other structures between the satellite dish and Satellite will degrade the quality, so the antenna’s place should be right. Wrong location choice is one of the common reasons that TV catches no signal.
After the installation of the Satellite dish is completed, the next step is to prepare the cable for connection. You are going to need an F-connector to connect the cable between Dish and TV.
F-connector is nothing but a simple grommet. F-connectors can be easily screwed on the cable. Threading between cable and F-connector is essential.
You have to check that your TV or receiver output is compatible with F-connect. If it is, you can easily connect your tv and Satellite dish, but if your receiver or tv got an expected antenna output, you could buy an adapter.
A regular antenna plug can also be used if you want, but I will not recommend using a standard antenna plug because of low quality.
There are few things which you need to take care of before connecting the cable to the television:
- First, remove the cable’s top insulation layers
- Beneath that, you will see a coating of thin twisted wire. You have bent these twisted wires.
- Remove the silver foil coating
- Next, you must get to the copper wire by removing the insulation over it
- Clean it with a knife. And connect it to the F-connector.
- After that, connect it with the receiver or tv with the help of an adapter.
- The other end of the cable needs to relate to LNB to get a signal from the satellite dish.
Connection and Setup
It is time for the final setup,
You must follow these steps to watch your favorite show on your TV screen.
- Be sure that the cable is connected correctly with the LNB and receiver or TV.
- If the connection between the LNB and the tv or receiver is right, turn on the tv and check for automatic channel scan in the settings menu.
- Select the automatic channel scan option.
- If it asks where to search for a broadcast, you need to select ‘Satellite and then click the ‘Next’ option.
- For its subsequent scanning, it is possible to select the appropriate Satellite at this stage. Other settings relating to this Satellite are also available on this page. Click “Next” after you have selected it
- When you choose the advanced setting option, you will see a window with different parameters; this will show you the signal’s quality and level.
- If you want to add a new Satellite, you can do it by selecting the button which you can find at the top of the window
- After this menu is closed and you click “Next,” you must specify the search conditions.
- Check the box next to the ‘skip encrypted channels’ if you do not use a CAM module. And only wants to find free broadcasts.
- After the required data has been installed, click “Run.”
- The hunt for broadcasts will begin next. You can see the number of TV and radio channels which have been found during the search. When you end the scan prematurely, you can still save the channels found before.
- After the scan is over, you will be able to watch satellite tv.
- When you go to the “Channels” section of the television settings, you can see even more choices. For example, you can arrange the channels, change the transponder, tune the Satellite, etc.
If I Have a Smart TV, do I Need a Cable Box?
You do not need a smart TV to have Netflix films or YouTube videos playing on your screen. The smart tv services can be achieved without buying a new smart TV. With the help of affordable streaming media players, you can enjoy Smart Tv services; few set-top boxes provide 4k contents. One of the famous examples of this is Roku.
Does Every TV Need a Cable Box?
You do not need a digital cable box for every TV in your home. Areas migrated to all-digital networks would need a digital cable box for through home television.
How to Get Live TV Without an Antenna?
Well, you can watch or stream local without an antenna. Here is how you can do it:
- Purchase an HD antenna and install it. To watch local channels, this is the simplest way.
- Online content, you can always watch online content.
- Installing major network apps will help you to achieve your goal.
- Sling TV is also the right choice if you want.
- FuboTV is also an option to watch local TV
- There are several local tv station apps; install them, and enjoy them.
- YouTube is always the right choice.
- YouTube also has YouTube TV, subscribe, and enjoy.